The Addis Clinic- Maternal & Child Health (MCH) Community Health Worker (Somalia)
Job Title: MCH Community Health Worker
Reports to: Program Coordinator
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Part-Full-Time
Location: Beledweyne, Somalia
The Community Health Worker (CHW) will work on The Addis Clinic Maternal and Child Health program in Somalia, which aims to reduce the maternal and infant mortality rate among women and girls ages 15-49 and children under 2. The CHW will play an essential role in providing outreach, perinatal health education, and home visiting to improve community knowledge on how to have a healthy pregnancy and birth, as well as preparing and caring for a newborn. The position performs all functions and activities within the guidelines and principles set forth in The Addis Clinic Implementation objectives, and goals.
•Must possess a minimum qualification of High School Diploma or equivalent degree
• Experience in community work, education, health care, or related field preferred
• Information Technology skills such as: laptops, smartphones, Internet/online application systems, Microsoft Office, etc.
• Knowledge of and/or experience in maternal and child health highly preferred
• Read, write, and speak Somali and English strongly preferred;
•Works or resides in Beledweyne, Somalia
• Offers peer health education and support to families within the designated areas
• Provides health information through community outreach, group health education sessions, individual encounters, and home visits to assess patient needs and concerns as they relate to their family, their community, and their health
• Plans and leads group health education sessions and discussions on assigned health topics
• Makes referrals to healthcare access, and follows up with individuals to ensure they receive needed services
• Plans, organizes, and participates health fairs and other public events
• Reduces stigma and other barriers to initiating or continuing health care by providing culturally/linguistically competent, reliable information to both community members and health care providers
• Develops relationships with local health care and social services providers to create a robust, collaborative network to serve the community’s needs
Actively participates in, and successfully completes, training provided by the Addis Clinic
• Participates as a member of various teams as needed
• Promote and establish a variety of new community outreach activities to facilitate the expansion of current and new health-care networks for improved maternal, newborn and child health systems.
• Ensure maternal-child health activities in this area are established and carried out efficiently and effectively
• Other related duties as defined by The Addis Clinic & the partner organization
• Ability to communicate easily with others, including demonstrating active listening skills
• Demonstrate group facilitation skills
• Demonstrate flexibility in addressing changing community needs and program environment
• Ability to maintain confidentiality
• Ability to navigate the health service system and advocate for women and children
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team
• Demonstrates initiative and good judgment in work
• Displays empathy, respect, and understanding of community resources, programmatic goals, and understanding of organizational values and processes
Mode of Application:
Interested candidates should send their resumes on or before January 15th 2022 to firstname.lastname@example.org. Copy to email@example.com Only complete applications sent through email will be considered.
Complete applications will have a cover letter, curriculum vitae, copies of relevant certificates and practicing license where applicable, and names and contact information of three references.
Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted for an interview.