VACANCY ANNOUNCEMENT: Program Mentoring Support Officers (2) Positions
Organization: Marginalized Communities Advocates Network – (MCAN).
Position Title: Program Mentoring Support Officers (2 Positions)
Reporting To: MCAN’s Executive Director
Program / Duty Station: Baidoa/Mogadishu
Duration: 12 Months
Starting Date: 28th October, 2021
Marginalized Communities Advocates Network – (MCAN) MCAN is a network of local NGOs based in Somalia championing for the welfare of marginalized and vulnerable groups in Somalia. MCAN works with local stakeholders and directly with target communities within its coverage areas in a participatory approach. Registered under the Ministry of Interior, Federal Affairs and Reconciliation, the organization is mandated to carryout multi-sectoral projects in the whole of Somalia.
Our belief that economic, social and environmental security is the bedrock of a healthy community drives the nature and intent of our programming. MCAN work to improve the social welfare and build the capacity of marginalized, vulnerable and minority women and children through provision of Primary Education, Health Care Services and Capacity Building Training in Environmental Management and Income Generation for the long term sustainability of Development.
For the past 10 plus years we have been in operation, MCAN have strengthened rural livelihoods through social and environmental awareness, training, technology transfer and innovative humanitarian projects in pursuit of a peaceful, self-reliant, and greener future. MCAN is an exciting and dynamic organization experiencing managed rapid growth. It offers sound employment conditions with opportunities for personal growth and development.
The Mentor Program Officer recruits, screens, trains, matches, and supervises volunteer mentors. The Mentor Program officer works with MCAN and direct services staff to identify partner -mentor matches. Once the matches are made, the Mentor Program officer provides guidance to volunteer mentors as they work to build supportive relationships with MCAN Partners and beneficiaries. In collaboration with partner organizations, MRG International, the Mentor Program officer is responsible for the successful implementation of this grant, funded by MRG International. The Mentor Program officer assists with general volunteer efforts, conducts intakes for new MCAN participants.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
- Communicate effectively with targeted beneficiaries and mentors (both written and oral) and engage them in activities related to service learning, career exploration, and vocational training.
- Assist with developing youth activities including career exploration, educational exploration service-learning, job shadowing, career exploration, etc.
- Partner with community organizations, employers, and educational facilities in developing and conducting program activities within the community to promote career exploration, educational exploration, service-learning, etc.
- Perform and facilitate orientations and training for all mentors, parents and youth.
- Perform all mentor match screening.
- Supervise all mentor matches and report to program manager.
- Perform a minimum of monthly contact with mentors and youth.
- Coordinate and implement mentoring services, including match support, supervision, conflict resolution, and recognition, based on current research of best practices.
- Keep the Program Coordinator informed of unusual and/or crisis situations as they arise.
- Stay informed on any policy, procedure, or activities that affect the program.
- Maintain all documentation as it pertains to Mentor screening, training, and other entrance activities, as well as program activities with participants and all other information as required.
- Maintain a positive working relationships with community partners, service providers, and collaborating agencies.
- Other duties as assigned.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Experience, Competencies and Education
- College degree preferred but a combination of work experience and education may be considered a substitute for educational preference.
- Minimum 2 years experience working in program related area, specifically experience with volunteer/mentoring programs and programs working with at-risk youth.
- Experience in leading and developing curriculum for youth educational programs
- Strong analytical, writing and communication skills.
- Working knowledge of case management, interviewing, and counseling techniques.
- Experience with medical, psychological, social, and vocational aspects of disability and/or economic disadvantage and other factors contributing to at-risk status; of community resources and; occupational information and job readiness.
- Must be computer literate and proficient in Microsoft Office Suite.
- Ability to facilitate positive actions and growth of youth participants and mentors in a flexible geographic environment where self-direction, prioritizing and organizational skills will be crucial to success.
- Ability to be flexible in hours and work location (within the service area) to accommodate the needs of the Program and Goodwill.
- Strong ability to exercise sound judgment and maintain positive working relationships with a wide variety of organizations and individuals.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Sound judgment and the ability to supervise mentors in the field
- Excellent speaking and writing skills
- Ability to develop positive relationships with community volunteers and with youth
- Highly organized and collaborative
- Ability to take initiative, dependability, flexibility and resourceful
- Ability to function independently and as part of a team
- Proficient in Microsoft Office Suites, Google Docs/ Calendar and Internet usage.
- Ability to read, analyze and interpret the most complex documents relating to human rights.
- Ability to respond effectively to the most sensitive inquires or complaints.
- Ability to perform basic mathematical equations.
- Ability to apply principles of logical thinking to a wide range of practical problems.
- Ability to deal with a variety of abstract and concrete variables.
How to Apply:
MCAN is inviting qualified candidates who meet the above requirements to send cover letter and CV to the following email address: email@example.com with subject line MCAN-003- Program Mentoring Officer.
Submission Period: From 12th October, 2021 to 20th October, 2021. Please indicate the job title while applying. Only shortlisted applicants will be contacted for interview.
MCAN is an equal opportunity employer.